Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Endurance Test-- PASSED!!!

Just over a year ago I was nearly 170 pounds... I could barely jog a block. This past Sunday, 30 pounds lighter, I ran a half-marathon (13.1 miles!) race. And FINISHED!



I have to say, I'm pretty happy to have surpassed the time goal I had set for myself. That was even after quite a hang-up before mile 1 was even complete!

My newly adjusted fuel belt decided to completely loosen and fall off, sending my phone and water bottle flying amidst a sea of people. I weaved through runners to gather my things and scurried off to the side. Darn! What a way to start the race! I fidgeted with it a bit and contemplated leaving it behind. Do I really want to hold my phone the whole way, and my water bottle?- I had inspiring quotes written on it and my kids even cheered me on in sharpie too. Quickly, I cinched up the belt and tied a knot in it and joined back in the swarm of people. Mile 1 was done and my watch said 7:20... phooey. The race started at 7.
My Pandora station was set to Louis Armstrong for the first few miles and I changed it a couple more times. I was so happy to have a watch. I'm new to that. And I set a couple of mini goals that I wrote on the bottle 5 X 8 and 10 X 9 to say that I needed to reach mile 5 by 8 and mile 10 by 9 o'clock. I know 12 minute miles may not sound terribly ambitious but that's what I've got! I wanted to complete it! It was tough.
Originally, my time goal was a hope to complete it all within 2 hours and 40 minutes and my actual time (even with the delay) was better than that: 2 hrs 31 min !!
So what if I'm in the slowest 40% for my age, I finished!
My sister-in-law did great at 2hrs and 14min! I now have a PR that I intend to break! That is, after I heal up and lose my sanity again :P Gotta keep on adding goals to my plate!
"All endeavor calls for the ability to tramp the last mile, shape the last plan, endure the last hours toil. The fight to the finish spirit is the one characteristic we must posses if we are to face the future as finishers." ~Henry David Thoreau

1 comment:

  1. Good job - that's a great time for your first half marathon - especially when you lose your water belt at the very beginning!

    ReplyDelete